22.4.09

Wine of the Week


Casa de la Ermita Jumilla 2004 is the purchase of the week this week and I must say, I am enjoying it thoroughly.  A Spanish wine from the Bodegas Casa de la Ermita Winery in the Jumilla region of Spain,  its highlighted flavors are composed of smoky and ashy deep-spiced embodiments with hints of fruity bitterness, most likely from dark fruits like cherries and black berries. Its a variety of Cab-Sauv with Tempranillo (a popular Spanish grape blend, also used in Sangre de Toro) and Mourvedre (a variety that is responsible for meaty and smoky notes).  Surprisingly, with such strong flavors, Casa de la Ermita is smoother than one might think.  I could see it pairing REALLY well with a sharp-flavored cheese and a big hunk of meat. Mmm.  Anyway the bottle was $14.99 at my liquor store, making it affordable and impressionable in my book!   It has a brother wine called Monasterio de Santa Ana. I will probably check that bottle out as soon as I finish this one!  I've attached a blog vid to this post by one Lar Veale, an Irish lad who's style I'm apparently biting for bringing wine to the common folk. Oh well, Cheers Lar!

No comments:

Post a Comment