16.4.09

The Cheap Wine Connoisseur


So in an effort to keep life interesting, I like to come up with ways to inexpensively spend my money on one material item per paycheck.  Not only do I look forward to this needless purchase every so often, but it also helps me budget so that I'm not dishing the cash out elsewhere, you know, at like the bar or something.  When I worked in corporate hell, I decided I was going to purchase a new DVD every month or paycheck (depending on my budget at the time).  It was a silly little $10 to $20 purchase that I looked forward to every so often; and when that package arrived, it was literally the highlight of my week (sad, but true, haha).  I actually have compiled a pretty decent movie collection from this hobby.
  These days, as I work at two restaurants, my funds are collected and received on a weekly basis.  Since I now invest in Netflix, I needed to seek a new perk to break up the weekly redundance of work.  I decided that every Sunday or Monday I would purchase a bottle of wine- no more expensive than $15.  I stumbled upon this idea randomly when I fell in love with this wine offered at Mixto, one of my employers.  It's called Sangre de Toro, a Spanish red wine created by the Don Miguel Torres Winery.  My boyfriend was coming to stay with me for the weekend and I thought it would be superrrr romantical if I got a really nice bottle of Sangre to celebrate his visit.   As I was gathering all the necessary supplies to prepare for a lazy but lovely weekend, I made him aware that I was "splurging" on a nice bottle of wine for the weekend so I might not be able to afford a bottle of Jameson and beer as well (these are usually staple supplies for our weekends together, don't judge).  I went to the liquor store with $50 for my wine and much to my surprise, a bottle of this fine treasure I had been obsessed with- not to mention, spending $7 a glass on at Mixto- for weeks, was $9.99.   I obviously was able to pick up 3 bottles of Sangre, a bottle of Jameson and some beer, which provided for a very wonderful weekend of boozin' and shmoozin'.

Anyway, the light bulb went on.  One can actually spend $15 or less on a bottle of wine that is NOT Yellowtail!  So I've been buying a new bottle each week for three weeks now and it has proven to be the most genius of my ideas yet.  Not only am I anxious and motivated to skip the bar after work so that I may drink some wine and get a good night's sleep, but I'm also saving tons of money.  Stay posted weekly for my cheap wine reviews and recommendations!

PS. Sangre comes with a cute little bull around the neck. Perfect key chain addition!

1 comment:

  1. Wait, there is more to life than Yellowtail?!? I thought my only choices were the purple, red or pink labels! Okay, I jest but I am definitely picking up a bottle of Sangre. Well done, D, well done.

    ReplyDelete